lunes, 13 de marzo de 2017

The Language of The Last Guardian


Confirmed Translations

Japanese players here have confirmed that the language in TLG is the same that in SOTC and Yorda's: It’s Japanese spelled in Romanji (japanese kanji spelled with English letters), spelled backwards. For example when you give Trico the Square button order the boy says “ikego” wich is backwards “kogeki” wich is the japanese word for “Attack!”.

Those japanese players have used this discovery to translate the orders you give to trico. I used Google Translator to get that into english.



So this goes like this: kanji - romanji (western letters) - backwards romanji forms a japanese word - correct kanji - english translation. It lists the many sounds it makes with every button-order. The ones here are mostly confirmed to be correct. 

○  イーソイソイ isoisoi yosiyosi よしよし "There there"
□  イェッティーソ iettiso osittei osite 押して "Press / Push it"
□  イケゴ ikego ogeki kogeki 攻撃 "Attack"
R1  ヤーディートゥー yadito otiday kottidayo こっちだよ "Here Boy / Here it is / This is it"
R1  ヤディオ yadio oiday oideyo おいでよ "Come on / come on over / come together"
R1  イトゥー itou uoti kotti こっち "Here"
   イェッティ ietty yttei itte 行って "Go ahead"            

Here's one whose translation is not 100% confirmed:

R1  ヤーディートゥーク yaditoku ukotiday kottidayo こっちだよ? ("Here Boy / Here it is / This is it" again, but remember, it's not a sure translation)

The comments section of the japanese blog had some more translations:
This one is from when you hit the second Trico with the elevator. The boy shouts "Oreme!"
オーレメーOreme yamero → やめStop!”



This one sounds while looking at the top of the white tower, looking across the nest, but the translation doesn't make much sense.
アカキャアルダルクック → akakyaarudarukukku → ukkukuraduraaykaka → ukukuraduraikaka → ウククラヅライカカすみません何言ってるかわかりませんI'm sorry I don’t know what you are talking about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unsolved Dialogue 

Doing my best I got some of the dialogue of the game into text (romanji). Just in case it could be useful in the future.  This is the first optional hint you get in the game:


agea tutoricono anapakean isutiu adaku [sound approximation]
In its pain, the poor beast was wary. [official english subtitles]
大鷲は傷ついて 気がたっていた [official japanese subtitles]
ōwashi wa kizutsui te ki ga tatte i ta [possible romanji]
大鷲hatsuite gatatteita  [another possible romanji]
The eagle was hurt and I was worried [translation from the japanese subtitles]

atatu arie tastire kie naras iestate astus [approximation]
I felt that my best option would be to withdraw and reconsider. [official english subtitles]
私は少し離れて 様子をみることにした[official japanese subtitles]
Watashi wa sukoshi hanare te yōsu o miru koto ni shi ta [possible romanji]
hashirete 様子omirukotonishita  [another possible romanji]
I decided to see a little while away [translation from the japanese subtitles]

Using the same method I got into text the first lines of dialogue. Sadly, I couldn't find the official japanese subtitles for these so it's not much material.
inomutu otuno isarapea  [approximation]
be among the chosen ones... [official english subtitles]

aukunana awisi iedokuna [approximation]
In my dream, I was flying. Flying through the darkness… [official english subtitles]

outasamakaku nawiu-eta-ge [approximation]
I awoke to find myself in a strange cave [official english subtitles]

iniyukai itesos awunai teta waku adachiu araboi otorico iso uniui tuti [approximation]
I noticed with a start that I was not alone. [official english subtitles]

adachiu araboi otorico [approximation]
Beside me lay a great man-eating beast– Trico.  [official english subtitles]

ona ana atut onis [approximation]
[No subtitles for this part]

awiniatu ounis inarasi adeitara kia  [approximation]
I did not know how, why or when it had happened–  [official english subtitles]

amegasmou anoimi [approximation]
but my skin was covered with peculiar markings. [official english subtitles]

atamaui chonis ateites outatonomari [approximation]
I thought that I was still dreaming… [official english subtitles]

Inakuna [approximation]
I believed that I would soon wake… [official english subtitles]


Does this have a point? I don't know, but it was fun to do.
I think soon enough someone will translate the final cutscene, so we can finally get the boy's name.



1 comentario:

TLG Secrets - Part 2

Part 2 - The initial cave Click on the pictures to enhance them. They contain a lot of info this time. Click here for part one.  ...